Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Rabbit, Part 1


Part One

The rabbit looked like it might be dying.  I put my hand on its chest.  His little heart was beating fast...

“Just leave it!” Lola shouted.

But I knew this wasn't any rabbit.  I was sure I had seen it before...

“You'll get rabies,” she warned, nudging me to go.  “Benjamin, come on...”

I began to walk away with Lola.  A minute later I heard a loud boom, coming from the area where the rabbit had been.   “Lola,” I began to say, but started running as fast as I could back to where we had been with the rabbit.  The rabbit was gone.

“Lola!” I called out.  “Lola, come see this.”

“Ben, what in the hell am I supposed to be looking at?  I don't see anything.”

“You don't see anything...exactly!  That rabbit—it looked like it had only three minutes to live.  I don't know.  It's just weird that it would suddenly disappear like that.”

“Shouldn't we be happy for it, Benjamin?  It lived!  It gets another few good years of procreating.”

“Yeah, “ I laugh, “You're right,” and give her a winning smile. We walk away together, but I still feel strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment